the maestro's view of the world

rambling commentary about living in a college town, enjoying culinary delights, surviving in a red state, and traveling to wonderful places

Friday, February 23, 2007

on my way to Dubai...but an extra 24 hours in ATL

So this is what happened. I go nice and early to the Gainesville Airport, everything's on time, etc. We're about to board. Well, they make an announcement that there is a problem with the airplane and they've called the mechanics, we should be delayed an hour. OK. They shuffle some passengers off to other flights, but say "but those of you headed to Paris will be fine, your flight is at 9 pm." They get us on the plane but we don't leave until 7 pm, and then because of the problem with the landing gear, we fly the entire way in the prop plane with the landing gear down so it takes 2 solid hours to get to ATL. I call from the runway to see if my Paris flight has left...and it has. So I go and wait in the line and they rebook me to arrive in Dubai on the same flight the very next day, so I will miss 24 hours in Dubai. My luggage remains checked so I only have what I brought with me, which is not very much.

They give me a hotel voucher and some meal vouchers. I am quick enough to go ahead and pay for some wireless internet in the airport so I can get online and email everyone else on the trip and the hotel to tell them I've been delayed. I haven't checked my email yet to see if anyone knows...but by now someone must now. Dubai is 10 hours ahead of EST so phone calling is weird.

I go outside to wait for the courtesy shuttle to the free hotel, it's a Country Inn and Suites. I meet up with the couple who was delayed also from Gainesville/Paris, and we stand outside in the 45 degree weather for about 45 minutes waiting for the shuttle that they claim is on its way in 5 or 10 minutes. I have no jacket with me and it was just cold. Then the shuttle ride is hellish--we drop off at 3 other hotels, it takes another 20 minutes just to get us to the hotel. They have no typical courtesy toiletries like toothpaste, despite the fact that everyone arriving has no luggage. I get into my hotel room at midnight exactly. I am still frozen so I think "I'll take a hot shower." The handle to the shower falls off in my hand, so I have to hold it manually just to make it work. I decide to wait. I fall asleep pretty quickly with the Law and Order SVU rerun on TV with Henry Winkler. But....I failed to check to see if the clock was set. It was, for 6 am. I don't have to be back to the airport until mid-afternoon. I was able to fall back asleep to discussions of Britney's future and Anna Nicole's body about 8:30 am.

I am back in the Atlanta airport, they wouldn't give me a boarding pass to Dubai, I have to get it in Paris. I have about a 6 hour layover in Paris. Hopefully that will be fine and maybe something fun to do.

I had planned to buy a few books to read in the Atlanta airport during my planned 2 1/2 hour layover yesterday. On the flight from Gainesville, I read the only book I had with me, it's for the book club: Martha Cooley's The Archivist. Then I am reading my usual stash of stupid magazines and the Entertainment Weekly has an interview with Christina Ricci and she recommends 5 things: one is that book. So...may the rest of the trip work out better.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am having trouble getting past the idea that were mutiple Paris-bound passengers on the Gainesville plane.

     
  • At 3:16 AM, Blogger maestro said…

    true...they were headed for Amsterdam, he was a professor giving a talk about veterinary medicine.

     
  • At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Dr. Tash, I think my dog is in a lot of pain."

     
  • At 4:50 PM, Blogger ATLiens123 said…

    I had the same reaction as jlh.

    Can you believe the airlines in this country? I saw a report about how "the government shouldn't enact a passenger's bill of rights" because "we [the airlines] can police ourselves."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home